Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Fresh Breath

Happy Birthday Kelsey!
I surprised one of my best friends In Chicago with a birthday call this morning and she did not recognize my voice even though I told her my name.. twice. She claims it was because it was such an unexpected call, but clearly, this reaction was an early sign of aging;) Love you Helen!
Because of the nature of the things at the hospital lately, I had not the slightest idea of what this day would bring. As Kristi and I approached the hospital, we noticed several children running around outside… were those… no… were those our patients?! Two little girls around the age of 3 came running to us, giggling with ear to ear smiles and IV canulas still in their little hands. Not only were they healthy again, but they had pulled me back to my center: this is why I do what I do here. I breathed a sigh of relief as I followed their cute little butts back into the children’s ward to begin a day I knew was going to be great.
My patient interaction has significantly increased since Kristi’s arrival, and I love it. We function as a team. She is the doctor and I am well, the physician’s assistant haha. I know what is going on with everyone and I really like that. I feel very connected and plugged in. Our patients are doing well, but we get just as many as we sent home the day before. Typhoid and malaria. Typhoid and malaria. It is so predictable. If someone would just fix our water system, we could get rid of this problem!! It is totally preventable and this blasted government will not do a darn thing about it!
We had a little boy today who has meningitis, the first I have observed since I have been here. On top of that, he is hydrocephalus, making it impossible for his 4 year old frame to hold his massive head up right. He just lays there. Perfectly still. All day. Time must pass so slowly for him, and I do not know what we will be able to do for him.
I had another first today: we have an emaciated old man who came in completely dehydrated with a blood pressure of 40/20!! You are wondering how the man was alive, and I will tell you I am still wondering that myself. It has to be something he has been dealing with for a while, otherwise this man would have kicked the bucket today. He is not out of the woods yet, but we are hopeful.
Back to the children’s ward. I mentioned the two little girls who came to great us. One of them was the granddaughter of the Kitiak chief who came over to our house the other evening. This strong, quiet man is revered in this community, well respected as a man and as a leader devoted to his people. I was so happy we were able to care for and help someone so dear to him because he does so many good things for us. She is by far the most happy, active little kid we have had here. She was the life of the party, and I hate to say this, but I am almost sad she’s better because I won’t get to see her tomorrow!
Tomorrow… I will not be at the hospital tomorrow I just remembered.
I am actually going to Tamale to get an extension on my passport. It is the most ridiculous thing as I had taken care of this in the U.S. before I left. As it turns out, regardless of how long I said I was going to be here, if it was longer than 60 days, I have to pay more money and apply for an extension. Real cool, Ghana. But I have the best news, it just so happens Abraham is in Tamale visiting Zee so I will get to see them both again!! I am so very happy about this.  
I got the greatest footage of Saboba for you today. I turned my video on and just started walking from my house all the way through town to see Joe and Pastor Jideoh. Kristi and I ran into some of the funniest things while the camera was rolling. On top of that, I got the best monologue from Pastor Jidoh, so most of you can meet him. He is just hilarious. I am trying to accumulate personal introductions from these people so you can understand why I love them so much.
Speaking of love, Pastor Jidoh knows how much I love these egg sandwiches he served me once and insisted we have some before we left to check on some of our patients this evening. The power went out at his house, so we sat out in the courtyard under a blanket of stars, sipping pineapple tea and eating egg sandwiches laughing and talking. He blesses me so much and I will never be able to repay him for his endless generosity. It is memories like tonight that are going to make me cry when I am gone. I just know it.
Today was truly a great day, and I needed a good one like this.  
Though you do not have round huts and a starry, summery night to sit in, take time for friends and strangers alike and be good to them. The more you give, the more you receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment