Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Here's To You, Billy

Billy Joel was in Saboba today. I had his best hits reel running through my mind from the moment I met Bilijo in bed five of the male ward. I know his name isn’t exactly Billy Joel, but the way he said it, all I could think of was “Uptown Girl.” I couldn’t tell you anything else about Bilijo, other than he has typhoid and malaria like everyone else in the hospital, because Kristi and I were feverishly working our way through rounds, but I do appreciate him giving me songs to hum while I worked.
After today, I feel like a professional prescriptionist. We were a little down in numbers today, so I wrote prescriptions and filled out some basic insurance information while Kristi did her doctor thing, assessing each patient and charting. As I have said before, we make a great team. She asked the new admits how they are doing and we hear abdominal pains, vomiting and dizziness, boom. Typhoid and malaria. I had Ciprofloxacin and Artusentate/Amodiaquine and the appropriate dosages written down before I finished the first line of “The Longest Time.” Thanks Billy. I am learning so much. We have been tossing around a few team name ideas, but I don’t think we’ve found the right one yet. It has to fit just right, and I take these tasks very seriously.
You know that Precious has won the cutest baby contest for all times, but I did have the pleasure of meeting the world’s happiest baby in a hospital today. She was cracking me up. I do not usually see babies with such giggly dispositions for such a young age here. They are either too sick to be happy or ghastly afraid of my white skin, so this was a nice change. While it wasn’t quite to this extent, I did feel like I was watching the laughing babies on that Youtube video that went viral.
The book I am reading, was reading I should say, got canned. I couldn’t take it anymore. Page 98 and we have his SECOND attempt at a proposal, which was so not romantic and severely under-planned, so I tossed it. I have higher expectations that than. I started looking through the pile Dr. Jean brought me and found one about a “shy librarian from Louisiana” who answers a personal ad for a wife from a rancher in Montana. Montana?!?! It has to be good!! Those are my people and they are not pushovers. In fact I hope they fight the whole book and realize half way through they feel something for each other, but they don’t let on until the end. Yes, some sass would be good.
Trinity came over tonight. I wrote her a math test to quiz her on what we have been learning and she told me this morning I was “quite the examiner.” I guess the test I wrote packed some heat, which really was not my intention. However, I was quite proud of some of the problems I made up. I am very anxious to see how she does on it. We actually ended up talking the most of the time she was here, which was so great. She is one of my favorites here. She is the only girl my age I am friends with, so I always love our time together. I love on her any chance I get. I get to know her in pieces. Tonight we talked for a long time about her family situation and how that has shaped her. It is a sad story, but she, like most people I meet her, finds a million reasons to be thankful. She’s such a sweet girl.
I find I miss the weirdest things… like cereal. I love cereal and though Cinnamon Toast Crunch is not on my Top 4 favorites list, it sounded so good to me tonight, so I made it up. Powdered milk, corn flakes, sugar and cinnamon. Simple yes, but at this stage of the game, oh so satisfying.
Keep praying for our hospital.
I hope you are all doing well. I am hearing news of babies and I am HAPPY. Katie and Jenny, two of my dearest in Helena, are expecting in July, the super cute girl who cuts my hair just found out she is expecting and so one of my aunties!!!!  Mills baby #25 woo woo!!
Much love to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment