Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Brake Pedal Needed

Holy Mole. I know I’m not at Mole anymore, but I it must be carried on.
What an exhausting day! I have been at the hospital all day. We got done with our fifth surgery of the day at 6:30 this evening, and then we had to go over to Jonah’s for dinner to meet a group of people visiting him.
And that is why this is going to be in list format. I am too tired!
-The hospital was so crazy today. I can’t even begin to tell you. I don’t know how Dr. Jean does this day after day. It’s exhausting. She had to leave for a meeting and Kristi was thrown into this mess as Dr. Christians. She did well, but it’s just so overwhelming when you can’t speak to the people or they misunderstand you or someone hasn’t done their job correctly, which unfortunately is usually the case here. I did my best to help her, but it was just crazy.
-It took us around 4 hours to do rounds today. Dr. Jean was saving lives and running to meetings the whole time, and that makes getting a single task very hard to complete. She had to pull the placenta out of a woman who was losing blood at rates I have never seen before. Thankfully, her and the baby are doing well.
-I learned a song in Twi, one of the main languages spoken in Ghana, today from my friend Moses. The translation to English says,
Thank Him, Thank Him
Thank the Lord
Because He is Good
And His love endures forever

-Some guy had some crazy auto immune issue (too tired to remember the name of it) that caused both of his pinky toes to pinch themselves off. I kid you not. His pinky toes looked like they were barely attached to his foot. What was left of his bone in each toe was broken and the distal part amputated. That was new.

-We did five surgeries today… I think. I lost count after the third hernia. However we end with a bang, more like a squirt, with a hydrocele. Those things are wild, and I will let you take the liberty of looking that up for yourselves… do it with the door shut though haha! It was so fascinating. I really like surgery a lot. It is such a good way to learn.
-I’m not really sure what the connection is, but Jonah has some friends from the U.S. that were here this evening with some Ghanaian pastors and a really hilarious man from Liberia. We ate outside in the courtyard of Jonah and Aggie’s compound. She made jolof (Spanish rice) and guinea fowl. It was so good. I literally went into cavewoman mode…. PROTEIN!!
-Pastor Vincent was among the group this evening and he might be my new favorite person. He is SO going in my global network. He just finished building a HUGE outside basketball court in Kumasi. He left Ghana and went to school in the U.S. where he fell in love with basketball, and game back to Ghana to use it to spread the love. “Shoot for Life” is the name of his ministry, and I had the best talk with this man tonight. He is just the coolest. I am going to see if I can work in a few days to stay in Kumasi and play with some kids and help him with a few things. If anyone is looking for a opportunity to do missions and basketball with the coolest guy ever, come to Ghana!! Seriously, he would LOVE to have you!
Oh great. Now my computer is dying just like my ability to form a cohesive thought.
More tomorrow.
Much love!

No comments:

Post a Comment