Thursday, March 3, 2011

I'll have the Germ Soup, please

Dr. Jean describes living here is like living in germ soup. Well, today I swam in it and I couldn’t have been more rejuvenated because it began in a furnace.   
I have noticed that I wake up when it’s too hot outside. When I wake up at 6 or 6:30, I know it’s going to an inferno out there kind of like it was today. Dr. Jean was in meetings all day today and Bob was seeing that his tires were properly changed, so they hooked me up with their friend JK.
JK is legit. He’s an old Ghanaian man that knows everything and everyone. When you are a white girl trying to shop for gifts for her family in a foreign country, you tend to get worked over. Not when you’re with JK. OH no no no. He kept those boys honest all morning, and even got me a few good deals because they know him. I was delighted with my findings today and very much enjoyed hanging out with my new, old friend JK this morning.
Note: When I heard his name was JK, I thought surely they are saying it with an American accent or that it had some African looking spelling like Jakuia that never makes sense. Nope. It’s “JK” like “just kidding” or “Jill Kary”J
I should also point out that my all-time international favorite place to have breakfast is at “Goil Tea Station” which is like a coffee kiosk in the States, except it’s about a million times more sketchy and one little lady makes breakfast out of there, and it is divine! She makes these egg sandwiches on this flat bread straight from heaven. I can’t even tell you why they are so good. They just are. Bob and Jean took me there when I first got off the plane in Tamale, and I will be the most loyal costumer I possibly can my remaining time in Ghana.
It was so hot today the Schaefers who I am staying with suggested the pool.
THE WHAT?!?!
Yes, you better believe it! Tamale has a pool at this “country club” type place, and Bob took me there so I could play in the water. Allow me to point out a few things that could easily be glossed over…
Point #1-Bob took me to swim. This is funny. Do people think this cowboy-esque, white-haired old man is my dad? Grandpa?? And what the heck is he going to do while I swim? Watch me? Good heavens, I hope not. Luckily he brings a book wherever he goes, so he had something to do.
Point #2- I really don’t even think about being white most of the time and I am never self-conscious of it. For some reason, I was awkward- middle school-afraid boys will look at her-do not want to get in the pool girl today because I felt SO white. I just had to close my eyes. Shake it off. Act natural. Cool, calm and confidant and enter the pool like I always do... with a splash.
Point #3-A swimming pool in Africa… just how murky is this water going to be right? Allow me to “clear” that up for you. It’s as murky as all get out while being clean enough to maintain that clear blue, chlorine water color. I couldn’t make out my fingers a foot below water. Thus, swimming in germ soup.
I didn’t even care. I was so hot and that water was giving me my life back.
I swam around for a little while but then became a little sad I had no one to play with.
That’s when a group of kids came splashing in. Yes!! FRIENDS!! I taught them how to play keep-away and 500 with my headband, which sank and disappeared 5 times in the murky water. Luckily we found it each time. We had to play with my headband because it was literally the only thing we had to play with as they would not allow my flip flop in the pool because it would “bring contaminants into the water.” Idiots.
I thought this guy hanging around the shallow end by us were with the kids… why I don’t know because there is no such thing as a “chaperon” or “supervisor” of children here. He was blinged out in fake gold asked if he could play 500 with us. When I caught him showing off a little bit and the kids not responding to him at all, I asked one of the little boys if he knew him and he didn’t. He kept diving over the kids when someone called 500 just so he could throw it. I was not happy, so the kids and I tried to mildly sabotage him out of our game.  The kids got out for a break to eat, but I stayed in and so did Rico Suave. He asked me my name, where I was from and if I would teach him how to swim.
Because it is un-Ghanaian to be rude and out of respect for this culture, I did not say what I wanted to say to this guy, his bling bling and pecs he thought were a lot bigger than they actually were.
“First rule of swimming: be able to hold your breath under water. So, you go ahead and stick your head underwater and I’ll count to a million mmk?”
Luckily Bob saw what was going on and gave me an out. Time to go!! I was severely irritated my play time was cut short. I liked those kids. I must be grateful for the time I had in such pristine water. When my hair dried, it had the most unbelievable texture. Some product you’ve got in that pool water!
Abraham and Zee came by to see me when we were at dinner very briefly. I will really miss them we I go.  
One more day until Saboba!
 I have officially been in Ghana for a month now, which means I get to read my mom’s “week five” note and flip to a new page in the book my dear friend Hannah gave me. It’s truly one of the highlights of my week.
Hope all is well in the homeland!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Nikki,
    We are so proud of you and the work you have done this past month. It is still cold here and had snowed last night. We are really ready for some warm weather. I bet our perspective of warm would change if we were there with you. Sounded like you had quite a stud muffin at the pool:) I can imagine you are writing down all this pick up lines for future reference:) So if we were to send a package this next week, how long would it take to get there? Well great to read your day to day adventures. Take care.
    Love,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete