Saturday, April 2, 2011

Decision Made

I had anticipated a rather lively April Fool’s Day, full of all my good jokes, but as it turned out, there was no room for such thing.
It was one of those were the times passes quickly and slowly all at the same time and you feel like that one day spanned across two. Bob and I left by 6 for Tamale so I could get, Lord-willing, an extension on my passport. A seasoned traveler would have not made the mistake I did, but now I know: look at the actual stamp and not your visa for the date of expiry. My visa is good for three months. My stamp from the country of Ghana is good for 60 days. I have to apply for an extension in month increments and pay 40 Ghana cedis  for each month extension. Another rookie mistake: even a month extension would not cover me. I missed it by a day. My month extension is good until the international holiday of my birthday, May 3rd but I fly out on the 4th which means, dear friends, that technically, I have to apply and paid for a 2 month extension.
You can imagine my frustration.
I am firm believer in sweet talking my way out of things, like say (hypothetically speaking of course) speeding tickets, but I have no idea what it is like to tangle with government officials in an immigration office in a foreign country. Fortunately, I had stopped by there the last time I was in Tamlale to get the initial application and did some brown-nosing with Bob, which totally paid off. It was a little intimidating because I was legitimately working the system. I asked for 3 additional days in the country just in case my flight out of Accra got delayed in May and still only paid for one month. Thank you Jesus.
Bob had some things to do in Tamale, so I met up with Abraham for breakfast who just happened to be there!  I was so excited for breakfast food, and when an unenthused, headphone wearing punk of a waiter informed me they were no longer serving breakfast at 9:45 in the morning, I nearly went angry, pregnant lady on him. But I refine. International homicide would not look very good on my record.I wanted to leave and get one of my beloved egg sandwiches, but we were stuck in the restaurant by the bonds of good manners. So, I had fried rice and chicken at 10 am yesterday. Yuck. However, I was with a good friend, and I thoroughly enjoyed our time together. I never did get to see Zee though as she had meetings all morning.
I had to get shampoo and toothpaste for Kristi. No problem. I know my way around Tamale. I went to the appropriate store and immediately found the toothpaste and shelves of shampoo. Satisfied with navigating skills, I began scanning the shelf for what I needed. Dark and Sassy Extra Moisture. Dark and Sassy 3 in 1. Dark and Sassy Anti-Dandriff. Umm… slight problem. Though my friend can be sassy, there is nothing dark about her. I went to two different places before I found something for sassy people who are not dark. In the last store I was in, I found cookies. Yes, cookies with M&M-like chocolates in them. This was a monumental find, and now that the whole package is nearly gone, I might be physically able to read that book that begins with Christmas cookies. Again, thank you Jesus.
I think the most pleasantly, surprising thing about yesterday, was the conversation I had with Bob on the way back from Tamale. We do not usually talk like this, but he asked if I had decided I was going to ISU or not. I took me by surprise. No one has asked me yet. Though I have accepted their offer, I have yet to hear from Loma Linda, which is mostly likely means “no”, but either way, I had haven’t given it much thought because of all that has been going on here. ISU was the LAST place I wanted to be. I nearly didn’t apply because the idea of me living in Pocatello was revolting. I wanted to be in Denver close to my brother and lots of good friends. I also just recently found that one of my very best friends will be moving there for school in the fall as well and I had to suppress the pang of disappointment yet again. But Denver is not an option for me, which means I probably won’t marry Tim Tebow or Brady Quinn, and I will save face by never being tempted to be a Bronco fan again. God knows what is best for me far better than I do, so if Denver is not in the cards, Denver is not the right place. It is really pretty simple.
There was one thing Bob said that really struck me. He said though he has never met my family, he can see how close we are, which he reminded me is a gift. Why would I want to go far from them? Point taken, but I have this phobia of ordinary and I felt like ISU was mediocre. And, I was not going to make a decision like this based on my comfort level. Of course it would be easiest if I was closest to my family, but convenience does not mean it is the right thing to do. I am have no fear of going to new places, and I wanted the opportunity to live in a city for my aimless twenty-somethings to get it out of my system so when I am old and married, I will want the small town life I grew up in.
I have no fear of spreading my little wings and flying. I can fly anywhere I darn well please. I have proved that to myself and I needed to that, which is one of the many things I am learning here. I value my relationships more than anything, and it would kill me to miss my brothers’ last two years of college. Idaho just happens to be nestled half way between the two. I don’t know why the implications of that did not sink in before yesterday, but that is where my heart is at. Experiences are what you make them. College basketball and Ghana have taught me that, and ISU, though less glamourous, will be no exception.
So, yes, I have decided as of yesterday, I will be in Pocatello, Idaho for my graduate years, and I feel really good about that. I hated the idea of ISU in the beginning so much that the only “pro” on the pro and con list other than my family was the chances of me marrying a smokin’ hot manly man who knows how to fix things is much more likely to be in Idaho than any other school I applied to. Not that I am looking, but hey, that is a factor to consider.
I won’t miss out on Gavin’s remaining years at the Academy and Galen’s years at my beloved Carroll. In two years, all three of us will split. The boys will be in med school somewhere and I will be looking for a job like a real grown up and we could be in three corners of the country… or the world.
So, there you have it, unless something really crazy happens, I will be attending Idaho State University in the fall, so get your travel plans ready, because every time you go south on I-15, stop by for some Pastor Jidoh inspired hospitality.
I’ll not go into detail for her sake, but my partner Kristi has typhoid, so please keep in her your prayers as she recovers. This is not a fun thing, and I wish there was something more I could do for her.
I am anticipating the power to go out any moment now. It is noon and it is way too long for have power for a Saturday in northern Ghana.
I hope this Saturday brings you joy and I really hope someone made up for me and played a few extra, quality practical jokes yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment