Sunday, March 13, 2011

OH... I'll Survive!

I am thinking about making Destiny’s Child song, “Survivor” my anthem and what I play every morning as soon as the battle starts.  I tried to find other songs not on shimy shakin Now 589302 or whatever number they’re on now to describe my feelings, but I just can’t.
I haven’t complained about the heat in a while (applause) so I thought I’d be ok to revert back to my old ways...
 IT IS SOOOO HOT!!!! It is impossible to sleep after 6 because my sweat sticks to the sheets on my back and grosses me out. I am more accustomed to it not, but it doesn’t stop the sweat. ! I cannot believe the temperatures. It’s all people talk about. I have no idea how hot it actually was today because the thermometer only goes to 122 degrees… this is just ridiculous. As I mentioned yesterday, we also just happened to be on a three day power outage and today was our final day. I’m pretty sure God knew there would be remnants of spontaneously combusting Konkombas and Nikki all across West Africa if He didn’t turn it down a skosch, so He miraculously turned he power back on early!
And I made it… I actually survived a power outage the hottest months of the year.
I went to church with Solo and Joe today. It is not in English, but I must say, I liked it better than the other church. I feel bad for saying that because of Jonah, but it’s true. The music was so good! That’s what I have been wanting to see out of these people! Pitch… what a concept. I was a able to recognize “When the Saints Go Marching In!” Solo did a great job translating quietly for me, so I actually got something out of it.

Oh! I just hit me! “I Will Survive!” by Gloria Gaynor! That’s it. That’s totally it. It’s more my era anyway and you could totally sing this to an unwelcomed, scorching hot, burning heat wave…

First I was afraid
I was petrified (my only fear besides snakes boarding the plane)
Kept thinking I could never live
with you by my side
But I spent so many nights
thinking how you did me wrong (aka sweating profusely)
I grew strong
I learned how to carry on
and so you're back
from outer space (fa real)
I just walked in to find you here
with that sad look upon your face
I should have changed my stupid lock
I should have made you leave your key
If I had known for just one second
you'd be back to bother me

Go on now go walk out the door
just turn around now
'cause you're not welcome anymore (seriously)
weren't you the one who tried to hurt me with goodbye
you think I'd crumble
you think I'd lay down and die
Oh no, NOT I
I will survive
as long as i know how to love
I know I will stay alive
I've got all my life to live
I've got all my love to give
and I'll survive
I WILL SURVIVE

Ok, I have a slight confession to make. I went on a major late night cleaning spree like I was in college again or something, and I just hit a brick wall. I’m done.
A brief list of today’s happenings:
-Walked, yes walked in this heat, from Solo’s village, which is at least a mile or two from the house after church to meet his family.
-Went to a funeral in a village called Kuntuli, which we pass every time we go to and from Tamale. That was another major National Geographical moment. Unreal… they gave me soup to eat with “beef” chunks in it. That’s what I pretended it was and it worked out for me. It was really good. They cook with so many hot chili-like peppers and I love it!
-Lots of weird dancing and traditions I never knew about! I’ll explain later
-Check on the skin graft guy today this afternoon and he’s doing well. He had to have a second one done this morning, but that was expected.
-Pastor Jidoh made us egg sandwiches similar to Madam’s in Tamale at about almost 10 o’clock this evening and made tea as well. Random… so random but so good!
-The new med student Kristi is coming tomorrow, which is where the “picking up” turned into cleaning spree.
-Funniest moment of the day: Emery sent me a text saying “I’m in a dog’s house again.” BAHAHA!!

More later. Sleep deprivation is here. Sorry for all the typos. Pics of skin graft up on facebook for you. Warning- not for those with weak stomachs:), but, you will survive…

No comments:

Post a Comment