Friday, February 4, 2011

Toto, we are SO not in Kansas anymore...

I'm assuming most of you have seen "The Proposal" with my girl Sandra and Ryan Reynolds. Recall the scene where she is informed that she has to go back to Canada and loose everything because her visa had expired. She oh so cleverly informs them that will not be happening as she is recently engaged to Mr. Reynolds. Though shocked and stunned, eyes suddenly widening to golf balls, he goes with it. "Yes, we are indeed um... engaged."
THAT is me. I am Ryan.
Upon arriving to Saboba after a wonderful plane ride with a very kind Ghanaian man, the best breakfast sandwhich I ever had in Tamale, and a WILD ride on an unkept dirt road from Bob (Dr. Young's husband and Mark Twain look-alike) to Saboba, I was given an instant taste of what the next 3 months of my life are going to look like.
Time out: I can not tell you how grateful I am to have Dr. Morris and Bryn here. They are amazing people and I am so blessed to have their help in adjusting. Time in.
Bryn was giving me a quick tour and then we were going to meet Dr. Nick at the market. The hospital, I can not explain because it is nothing like you have seen before. We peek behind a curtain to find one of the nurses, midwife Stella, delivering a baby who is seconds away from crowning.
So in my first half hour in Saboba, I have this soon to be mom's fingers wrapped around my own, making my fingers look whiter than they already are, as she pushes to bring life to her baby. However, the baby did not cry. Reader's digest: Bryn saved this baby girl's life today and I watched the whole darn thing. May I remind you that this was suppose to be a quick tour? After Bryn's handiwork, we find that there is a woman with a hernia (not common) followed by redressing a snake bite. And to think, this is nothing...
Key players you need to know:
Pastor Jonah is very close with the Youngs and he is gong to help me learn Konkomba. We start tomorrow.  He has such a passion and motivation to learn. He STARTED elementary school at 22 and is now a very educated man.
Richard is the coolest. He's a nurse anethsetist (sp??) and has exptremely good english. Bryn and I went to the market with him today. He will be a good friend.
I LOVE the kids!! They are everywhere. I can hear them singing outside even now and even though they should be at home:)
I must go. I am sooo tired and this internet here is so slow, so I am sorry but it would take me years to download a picture:(
Tomorrow we have three surgeries, so I will meet all the OR guys, all of whom Dr. Nick and Bryn love.
Love you all.

6 comments:

  1. Nikki,
    I know this journey will continue to get more amazing by the minute! I am so proud of you. This is already a life changing experince for you but I continue to pray for the life changing heart you bring to these people and for your hands of healing and passion - as white as they are - as they touch lives there. All my love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I completely agree with what your Mom said!
    So very proud of you. You are continually in my prayers. Love you, Carolyn U.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey nikki!
    gavin and i are sitting here. he was talking to your mom last night and hearing about this story. :) so wonderful. everyone at the combest house is praying for you. love you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We enjoy reading your blog...you have a way of bringing the details to life...we're praying for you. We love you!!! Aunt Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Nikki this is amazing! I am a hooked reader of your blog! So honored to say I know you :)

    ReplyDelete