Sunday, February 27, 2011

Sunday Swindling

This day needs to end. I  am not very happy and I need to go to bed to improve my mood. I have been duped big time and I am offended, humiliated and behind all that, hurt. I am so ready to go back to Saboba. I completely fell for a sob story and gave someone money I shouldn’t have. Through a series of events that I am not going to tell you because it will make me mad all over again, I learned Abraham has been having some trouble with Joseph, the boy from the other day, and that he lies incessantly. This made me question whether I had just got worked over (uh YEAH). I told Abraham my story, which he was livid about and fired him from his house.
I am a dumb girl.
This is exactly why it can be difficult to help people in genuine need because well-meaning people loose trust and their generosity.
However, I am not writing and you are not reading a blog with a bad attitude, so I will tell you about the great day I had until this point.

Breakfast this morning.. oh how I love breakfast, especially when it’s something other than crack toast. I bring this up because I would like to share with the group that I think my taste buds are changing again (thank God) as I have been eating and enjoying big chunks of tomatoes, peppers and onions in my eggs. This is big news. While we’re still on the food network, Zee made fried plantains with this tomatoey bean mixture for lunch today and it was excellent! The last time I had plantains, I was in Fiji eating them raw with an equally raw piece of fish on top in front of an audience of well-meaning villagers. This was a nice upgrade.

Church here this morning was the best I have experienced since I have been here. Abraham does a service just for the kids every single Sunday but they do all the singing and praying and special songs. He just preaches. It is the most adorable thing. The little ones ALL eventually fell asleep so the not as little ones picked them up and took them to their beds and returned to the service. So precious. One of the older boys led everyone in prayer and requested especially for all the other orphans who are not as fortunate as they.  

I think I have misled you about this orphanage. I have described it to you through privileged American eyes who have never, ever seen anything like this before. Yes, they have lost their parents, but they are so happy and love their lives and all their brothers and sisters. Abraham does a phenomenal job with these kids, and they think it’s the best place in the world. This obviously is not the norm, especially for orphanages in this part of the world. One of the little girls said that when she has a baby, she’s going to put it in an orphanage to grow up. And to think, all of this started when Abraham found an AIDS baby a few weeks old who was a “throw away” as they call it and took her in as a single, 25 year old guy. He loved her as his daughter and took her everywhere with him. People were shocked to see a man caring for a baby the way he was. Now he has 46 kids who love him dearly. Isn’t that amazing?
I was so happy to share a pew with them this morning.

I am also happy to report last night’s strike against the unmentionables was a success. This is mostly likely due to my suburb stealth and fighting skills and possibly the wooden bench I moved in front of my door.
Hope you are having an enjoyable Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment