Monday, February 14, 2011

Hunka Burnin' Love -- Happy Valentine's Day!

Ahh… the day of LOVE! The birds are singing. The meadows green and flowers blooming. Long lashes flutter as a lover passes by…
Something like that anyway. My mom made me a card for every week during my time here, and it’s like Christmas every Wednesday. Mama G is the coolest. Also included in my bunch of cards was a Valentine’s Day card and a birthday card for later.  I couldn’t wait to open this morning and nearly fell out of my chair laughing. My mom writes a sweet not, typical of such a sweet women and then my dad’s note occupies the bottom half of the card:
                “ Nik,
                 I sent you a chocolate kiss- It’s on the back of the card (Flip over and above the Hallmark sign is literally a chocolate lip print. I’m envisioning this process… how exactly does one smear chocolate on one’s lips??)! Sorry you are not here so I could take you out for a rib steak, strawberry lemonade and dutch oven peach cobbler. Oh and ice cream to cool you off, you hot thing you. I trust you’re having a great time and feel you are making a difference. I am really proud of you and blessed by your life and character. I better go check on your mom. I put her in the deep freeze… she’s so hot too!!
                Love you,
                    Dad
BAHAHAHA!!! Dad, that was one of your best cards! Though I don’t always think your jokes are funny, your cards are like none other:) Thank you for that. You’re still the best Valentine I’ve ever had though I have had some good ones. No one else but you brings me a pizza with a heart of pepperonis. Ugh… that sounds so good right now!!
This has already been an Valentine’s Day for the books, so it only makes since that I receive my first proposal attempt today right? It went like this: I was in the lab with the fellas jamming out and poking people as usual, when this nicely dressed young man walks in. We said hello, and he chatted with the lab guys because they are all friends, and that’s when I started getting weird looks. Weird looks as in those smiles are waaay too big for comfort. Nelson said, “He wants to know if you would marry a Ghanaian man. He wants to marry white woman.”
Gulp. The guy is still smiling. Stop smiling. How I am suppose to answer this?! If I say no, than I am a typical, stuck-up American, and I am dealing with the world’s nicest people group so resist the urge to be sassy. But if I say yes… no. I can’t say yes because I can’t explain myself. Ooo. I know. Pull the politician! Be as well-spoken, diplomatic and VAGUE as you possibly can be. And smile… don’t forget to smile.
“Well... Nelson, my friend, I will marry for love, and you can’t put parameters on love.”
Liar. I am lying through the hole in my face. Parameters?! Who I am kidding?! I look down at his 5 foot 6 inch frame and automatically know he doesn’t stand a snowball’s chance in Ghana and that has nothing to do with the fact that he is Ghanaian. He is short. Not happenin’.  
Well short guy apparently speaks some English because he says that he knows he is supposed to marry and white woman. He grandfather told him. It was his death wish.
Seriously?
 He prays every morning for her to come. By this time, Nelson is making fun of him, and I was so very thankful for the comic relief. Good luck with that, little buddy. SHE is NOT ME. I escaped to the back room to “check on the slides.”
Cupid, point your arrow elsewhere please.
My thoughts have drifted towards some of my very dearest friends, the late Herb and Margaret George these past few days, especially today. For those of you who did not have the pleasure of knowing them, they were the loveliest couple I have ever met in my life. He wore a three-piece suit every day “for his bride” and they would always hold hands and refer to each other with high class pet names like “my dear husband” or “darling.” They celebrated two anniversaries every year- the day the met and their wedding day. When you went over for tea, they would inevitably start talking about the day they met and how they fell in love. It brought tears to my eyes every time. They had so much love for each other; it literally spilled over and splashed you. They were able to celebrate their 70th wedding anniversary three months before Herb, then 98 ½ years old, went to be with Jesus. Margaret, on top of it as usual, had the whole thing planned out and waited patiently for her turn to go see her dear husband (4 months later). She got everything done in life except for finishing her own obituary. Ha.
Oh how I miss my sweet friend. I feel so very blessed to have had the privilege to befriend them. I visited them routinely and brought Margaret yellow tulips, especially after Herb passed, and she became a most treasured friend. I could talk to her about anything, and we did. But there was one conversation with her I had to have.
I wanted to know how she did it. How they did it. How do you still find yourself madly in love after a lifetime together?
She said it was a choice she made every day, but the trick was a love rooted deep down in the love of Christ because He is author of romance.  It’s not like I had never heard this, but there sitting in front of me was Queen Elizabeth II look-alike as living proof that it can be done.
So, it was only fair I give a little shout-out to two lovers who forever changed my life with their love and friendship.
Thank you, God, for a love divine. I am understanding more and more everyday by living here what it is to live out love.  
 I decided to share Aunt Ronda's chocolates...Check out my sweet Valentines!
May you experience love today as I am.
Love to you all.

P.S. Helen, rock that red dress tonight.

Scoreboard
Lizard: 2
Me: 0
It escaped the trap I made last night. Reallll cool, Houdini. You have not seen the last of me…

No comments:

Post a Comment