Friday, February 11, 2011

Seriously, I'm melting...

Nothing terribly exciting to report today. But really, how could I top yesterday?!
I worked in the lab again today with my peeps Emery and Nelson. Emery thinks I have a nice voice so  should work for a news stations lol! They are so funny.
What is not funny is that the air conditioner does not work in there… at least there is a fan, which I sit under at all costs. Today was hotter than yesterday, and it takes all my will power to convince myself I am in fact alive and it hasn’t killed me yet. I’m like my own heat coach and in the middle of a pep talk, the power goes out………. I thought I was going to lose it. However it was one of those situations where you have to look at yourself as if you were behind the camera filming your own life. White girl cooped up in a small room in sub-Saharan laboratory wipes yet another bead of sweat off her forehead. She looks to the heavens and sends up a desperate plea of even just a breath, just a small, small breath of cold air, and just has she is about to finish, the electricity goes out.
Though I wanted to slam my head in between the door and the door frame, I knew how funny it would be if I could have seen the look on my face.
Holy hotness.
I thought I was heading right into surgery after the lab for that osteo case, but unfortunately, Dr. Young got detained with other business for quite some time, so the OR gang and I had another great chat to pass the time. They love talking about the U.S. and they LOVE Obama, so naturally, we got to the bottom of that one. They like him because he is, in their words, a peace-maker, charismatic and a nice man. They are quite up on their American politics. It’s actually quite impressive, but I, very diplomatically, discussed our current situations from both sides, and politely gave my opinion. I really do love our chit chats. I drew them a map of the U.S. so they knew where Wyoming is. Enough of this “is it by California or the capital” crap… it’s time we but WYO in its rightful place above all! Maybe except for Montana;)
Fun fact about Ghanaian culture- it is not at all uncommon to see people of all ages and sexes holding hands with one another walking down the street. This does not at all insinuate homosexuality, it’s just something they do. Alex, one of the really funny OR guys, grabbed Dr. Nick’s hand and because he is such a great person, he just went with it. I find it rather endearing that I have hands to hold:) They are so good to me here.  They OR boys have learned my full name so I now answer to “NicholeMills” said in one word like that or “Nikki Rae” or my personal favorite, “Nikki Nik.” It’s so funny. Everything sounds better in a Ghanaian accent too.
The surgery today was awesome. She opened part of his lower leg to expose the bone, and got the hammer and chisel out and hacked away to find the dead bone and pull it out. It was awesome.
There may be an adventure on the horizon… Bob and Jean have a conference in town of Kumasi for the week of the 21st, so that means Nikki may do some exploring… woo WOOOO!!
I hope you are all well. Every time I stick my head in the freezer, which is quite often, I think of you all. There can never be enough prayers for the sick people here and for Dr. Young. You think I'm crazy for my pace of life... this woman makes me look like a ginormous couch potato.
Much love.  

2 comments:

  1. Nikki, your dad shared with us Sunday about your blog. Look forward to reading more about your journey. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Blog Nikki, although getting something posted to this thing has been a little difficult. So if you get some version of this 10 times just realize that ol' uncle Jim is working through a few technical challenges ;>)

    I saved the early photo of you and the children to my screen saver at work. It serves as a prompt for prayer and it has stimulated some very good discussion among my co-workers.

    We're praying for and keep blogging.

    ReplyDelete