Sunday, April 3, 2011

Red Boots

Though I have yet to define what a “typical” Sunday morning is around here, I can tell you this one is atypical. I have stayed home to take care of my poor friend. I am saddened by the plight of Kristi as this typhoid continues to keep her out of the game. Dr. Jean just put Bob on typhoid treatment this morning as he is also not feeling well. I feel like I am walking on thin, thin ice here. Keep praying for Kristi and that Dr. Jean and I stay healthy.
Yesterday was very uneventful as my post has been next to Kristi’s bedside. I am a professional unhooker and rehooker of IV’s now! I wish there was something more I could do for her. I know I would not want to be alone feeling like this. Everyone wants different things when they are sick, and I like my mom, old movies and popsicles, so I am trying to give her my best in hopes that in some small way, it will help. This is not only physically draining but emotionally as well.
Because of all this down time, I have gotten more sleep than I have in the last two months combined I am pretty sure. I am going to bed at about 9 and not getting up until around 7 because it has been cooler these last few mornings. I have had lots of time to think and to read. There has been so much to process with all that has gone on the last week. I don’t even think I will be able to digest it all until I am home.
I am not going to put on a front. I am freaked out by all this sickness. This typhoid is everywhere, and I don’t like it. This may sound dramatic, but I feel it is only a matter of time before it is my turn.
As of this morning, I had officially come to the end of myself yet again, and I needed to some legitimate TLC. I am simply not strong enough on my own. My personal issues are so insignificant in light of what is going on here, and though I know that, I still feel. I knew I needed to drag myself to church this morning in some form or another to refill. I found a song sung by one of my super talented best friends Carrie Jamison and started crying (a combo of missing her, home, her gorgeous voice, completely overwhelmed and knowing that God is unmistakably by my side). WHY OH WHY are girls so emotional?! It’s ridiculous, and I do my best to keep things under control but sometimes things are too much to keep inside.
So, I will stop with the blubbering.
I am simply moved yet again by God’s timely embraces and great love. This is real and I know it to be true with the deepest part of my being. Yes, this experience is one of my greatest challenges yet, but there is so much beauty in struggle. It is impossible to understand the heart of God or to reach your potential as person without it. So through tears and gritted teeth, I welcome it.
                                  
This is not the song Carrie sang, but this has undoubtedly been the anthem of my trip, which is appropriately named for 3 months spent in the dry season in Northern Ghana. I pray it brings you the strength you need to put your butt-kickin’ boots back on. My pair is red and they are super sassy… just in case you were wondering.

The Desert Song
Brooke Fraser

This is my prayer in the desert
When all that's within me feels dry
This is my prayer in my hunger and need
My God is the God who provides

This is my prayer in the fire
In weakness or trial or pain
There is a faith proved of more worth than gold
So refine me Lord through the flames

Chorus:
And I will bring priase
I will brng praise
No weapon formed against me shall remain
I will rejoice
I will declare
God is my victory and He is here

This is my prayer in the battle
When triumph is still on its way
I am a conqueror and co-heir with Christ
So firm on His promise I'll stand

Chorus

All of my life
In every season
You are still God
I have a reason to sing
I have a reason to worship

This is my prayer in the harvest
When favor and providence flow
I know I'm filled to be emptied again
The seed I've recieved I will sow


No comments:

Post a Comment